Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Talking Heads


Talk to the Hand

Well I am finally home after three-plus-weeks of working from the road.  I’d like to say I have a profound post for my dedicated eD followers, but I am afraid I am too damn tired to even try to go there.  I did learn a few things, along the way, though.  I’m always looking for perspective, but what I am talking about here has more to do with inertia.  The movement of our surroundings has an impact on us, and we can all garner a powerful hold on our lives if we can somehow influence the world around us.

This last trip I went south, west, east and back west again.  And in my jet-lag induced hysteria, I realized that the influence on our surroundings, thankfully, does not have to be intellectual or philosophical.  Rather, we just have to encourage the behaviors we enjoy to be a part of, and discourage those that put us in a tizzy.  Again, I’m not going deep here.  I’m talking a ground out to first:


I highly encourage talking with your hands even when you are on a cell phone.  So the person you talk to can’t see your hand gesture (singular, assuming one hand on the phone).  But, it’s not about the person on the other end of the line.  It is about those of us, innocent eavesdroppers, who are forced to watch your muted conversation through the patrons of Starbucks who sit between us.  You force us to try and figure out what the hell you are talking about.  You are in our space and I think we deserve a little help.  So please use your hand gesture to help get us there.  Churn that butter with your free hand or give directions to one half of the orchestra - just give us something to go on.  Heck, if you believe it will make all of us happier in the end, I say buy an earpiece and really bring the plane in.

I discourage the use of ski-racks during the summer.  You know who you are.  You look like a cop, and it doesn’t make your Subaru any cooler.  Please take the rack off until there is snow within a 100 mile radius.

Apparently, the jet-lag is still slowing me down.  It’s the small things, folks, that make our lives easier.  Inertia has to start somewhere, and I’m afraid this is where I am going to start.

Hope to get back to “normal” posting here soon – half way through!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...