Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Can You Picture Dorian Gray?

Reading a book that you do not know anything about is like watching a movie you have never heard of: either a pleasant surprise or a mere disappointment.  You avoid the “let-down” since you have no real expectations, perhaps other than the notion that if a publisher or producer bought the damn story it should at least be more than amateurish.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
Think Leo.
Of course I have heard of Oscar Wilde, in fact I have heard of “The Picture of Dorian Gray.”  But truth be told, I never read the novel or thought much about it (how uncivilized!).  Until now, that is, since the novel is free on my Kindle.  


At the 24% mark, I cannot say with conviction whether my final impression will sway one way or other (though I have a hunch).  Having plunged into it without a framework or cash outlay to build any real expectations, I have to say that thus far I am really enjoying the hell out of it.  I particularly like the following two quotations:

To get back one’s youth, one has merely to repeat one’s follies.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world’s original sin. If the caveman had known how to laugh, history would have been different.


Amen, brother.  The fact that this classic novel was your only published novel, was received with harsh criticism, and was adapted from your only published short story, is truly inspiring.  Even 120 years later.  I only wish you were still around to read "I Smell a Rat in the Ball Crawl," because I would give it to you for free.    

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think he'd enjoy "I Smell a Rat in the Ball Crawl" :) Dorian Gray's on my (very long) list of books I'd like to read. If you haven't already you should read his play "The Importance of Being Earnest"- it's absurdly hysterical!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...